Albanova Nano-Fab-Lab, SPM/AFM
Some very short notes on how to do STM with the
Multimode and the Nanoscope IV controller.
More info can be found in the manual for the Nanoscope IV controller.
Please note that the "main" manual refers to the Nanoscope III
controller in many places.
Make a tip:
Below is an quick test-run with a tip of unknown quality.
Scan area is a bit big, best results are obtained at about 0.5 - 2 µm.
The sample is just a plain metal puck for mounting samples on.
- Clean a good pair of tongs with aceton
- Clean a scissor with aceton
- Pick up a wire from the storage box
- Hold the wire firmly with the tong
- Use the scissor to rip off the outermost part of the wire
- With luck a nanometer sized tip is formed
- Mount the wire in STM head